Wednesday, May 14, 2014

More old techniques

I'm using more of my old colored images and backgrounds - made years ago and never turned into cards.  It's time to put them to good use.
This image was stamped in white ink on this dark cardstock and colored with Prismacolor pencils.  The background is a technique called Faux Batik.  I found the instructions from long ago on Gingerwood.  Basically, it is stamped and embossed with clear ink and embossing powder.  I think I used rice paper.  I think I used watercolors to color the background.  After dry, this is ironed with absorbent paper to remove embossing powder.

Even the ribbon was from a small package from the $1 bin with several small rolls of ribbon.  I simply used a white card base and white layer to separate the dark colors.  I made a second card with a similar iris image stamped on black cardstock.  You can see the difference in this photo.
Next, I used an image colored with chalk and chalk blending fluid and used another Faux Batik background.
I just hand cut around the image because I felt I would lose too much detail by fussy cutting it.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't done it in years but always liked the effect of the colored pencils against the dark stock. I convinced it's what had to have started the more recent 'chalkboard look' that's been such a huge trend lately. Nice work Velda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Iris card is beautiful! Reminded me of my mother,she loved iris's especially purple ones. We had them all around our house. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete