Saturday, March 19, 2011

OWH Virtual Cardmaking Party

Operation Write Home is sponsoring a Virtual Card making party on Facebook today.  There have been challenges every 2 hours.  I haven't done all of them, but these are the ones I've completed.

The first card I made today was this Vest Card.  There is a video tutorial on U-Stream to show you how to make this vest.  I'm not really pleased with this one, but will try some more later.

The next card I made was to use the Sights & Sounds of Summer to create a card.  Since I live in the desert, I think of the sun in the summer.  The troops serving in the Middle East also see a lot of sun in summer, so I thought they might enjoy sending this card home.
I cut out the sun with a Sizzix Original die - Blazing Sun.  I used a hot yellow for the sun and distressed the flares with Memento Potter's Clay ink.  I cut a couple of circles with Nestibility circles to highlight the sun.

I stamped the sentiments with Hero Arts stamps with Memento Potter's Clay ink & added layering with the same paper I used around the sun.

The third card I made was a challenge to make a card using embossing, either heat embossing or dry embossing.

I chose to use this Cuttlebug Argyle embossing folder.  I used a technique I learned on Stamp TV to add ink to the folder before embossing.  I used cream cardstock and Memento Rich Cocoa ink.

I stamped the Art Impressions golfer and the Hero Arts sentiment with the same ink on cream cardstock.  I cut out the golfer with a long rectangle Nestibility, using another technique I learned from Stamp TV.  I cut out the head of the golf club before cutting with the Nestibility, so it stuck out past the edge.

I used the dark brown cardstock to cut frames for all the elements on the card.  I chose not to color the image to maintain the monochromatic look.

I chose to skip the 5 PM challenge because it was to make a card with a cute digi.  I'm not a fan of these types of digis, so I didn't participate.

For the final challenge of the day, I made a 'love' card with a stamped image.  This is an old Posh Impressions stamp.  I colored the stamp with Marvy Brush Art markers before stamping.  I cut all elements out with Nestibilities rectangles.  The ribbon is very sheer and sparkly, so I glued a piece of lavender cardstock under it to glue it to the card base.

Now, it's time for this oldstamper to go to the recliner with a cup of Sweet Dreams tea.  The old body can't keep up with these youngsters.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment