Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Watercolor leaves - tutorial

I don't know why I never tried this before, but it all began when I was cleaning out old supplies that had accumulated over many years.  It started when I found my Peerless Watercolor Papers that had been sitting unused over many years.  Yesterday, I showed my first attempt at die-cutting leaves from watercolor paper, then coloring them.  I repeated the process and took some photos.


I gradually added color to the leaves with a waterbrush, picking up color from the watercolor papers and using a plastic lid for a palette.  I found they dry lighter, so I would allow them to dry then add more color.  All of that water flattened out the embossing, so I put the dry colored leaves back into the Spellbinders die and embossed them again.
The next step was to prepare a card background for the leaves.  Digging through my paper stash, I found some very old 'handmade' paper that is like mulberry paper, but heavier.  I measured the size needed and tore the paper, after wetting the line with my waterbrush.


I stamped the sentiment directly on the handmade paper, then added a frame and mounted it onto a cream card base.  Next, I added the leaves and acorn.
 



3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the show and tell. The leaves are so lifelike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Velda, these are just lovely! And thanks for the visual instructions. You prove that "old" is still beautiful.

    ReplyDelete