Friday, November 1, 2013

OWH Boot Camp - Balance in Design

I always enjoy the monthy Design Boot Camps on the Stars & Stamps blog.  I learn from each of them and try to use the suggestions when making cards.  It sometimes takes me a while to really create a sample that I feel works with the design principle.  The October Boot Camp was on Balance in Design.

I think I have a tendency to make symetrical cards like this:
I'm working my way to creating more asymetrical cards.  I think this one qualifies for that:

After I cut the sentiment with the partial die cutting technique to demonstrate the technique to a friend, I was challenged to create a card with such a strong color and still allow the sentiment to be read.  The yellow paper was suitable for that, but made the card feel very heavy at the bottom.  I decided to punch some hearts from the scraps from the red paper to add a little weight to the top.

I also did a redesign of the card from the previous post by adding a layer of red around the stars.  I now realize that card is also symetrical.
 

1 comment:

  1. Nice work Velda! I usually tend to instinctively use symmetrical layouts. They seem to be a good choice for CAS cards like the first one you've done and those hard to do 'masculine designs'. I'm glad that you've shared some of the thought process you used when creating these cards and that you mentioned ’revisiting' a previous design to improve it. I believe doing that is one of the very best ways to improve our skills and have done it many times myself. I am so glad you've been enjoying the bootcamps this year. :)

    ReplyDelete