Friday, May 8, 2015

Hummingbird at feeder

Yesterday, a friend was visiting with her dog.  I have a sliding glass door with a doggie door in my kitchen that connects to the patio.  The dogs run in and out at will.  I have a hummingbird feeder hanging from the patio roof.
A little guy that looked like this one flew into my glass door and was lying on the patio near the doggie door.  My friend held the dogs back while I went and tried to pick up the little hummingbird.  He tried to fly, but couldn't gain altitude.  I picked him up and put him in one of my tall cypress trees.  He stayed there quite a while.  I decided to take my camera outside to check on him.  He saw me and flew into my neighbor's mimosa tree.  I can't tell these little guys apart, but I took these photos today and hope he's one of them.


They do also perch on the rail, but this is the only photo I've caught showing that.
I call this bird 'he' because the females have a green head, instead of this dark head.  I have a lot of them eating from this new feeder and the flowering shrubs in my yard.  I also have an oriole feeder for the bigger birds.

PS:  Later in the day, I managed a photo of the female.

No comments:

Post a Comment