Sunday, June 7, 2015

Embossing with color

I have many embossing folders that I have collected over the years.  I love the texture, but also like to make them colorful.  In the technique I used this week, I added color to embossing folders with words on them.

 
This folder makes a general card for the fall season.  I chose a Kaleidacolor ink pad in multiple autumn colors.  I used a brayer to roll the color from the ink pad to inside of embossing folder.  Tip: brayer ink onto inside with letters backwards so the words can be read.  I then placed a piece of cardstock into folder and ran it through the Big Shot.  I found that you get less slippage if you run the open end through the rollers first.

I repeated this with some other folders and different colors of ink.




I chose cardstock for borders that worked well with the ink colors.  You can see the slippage in some of these because I forgot my rule about putting open side first through the Big Shot.  I made multiples of all of these.  They are all mounted on either cream or white card bases.

Since I don't do videos, I decided to repeat the process to take photos.  I hope this helps to explain the process.


These photos show the brayering process.  My brayer and ink pad aren't wide enough for the folders, so I turn them upside down to ink the other side.



These photos show placing cardstock inside folder and running it through the Big Shot.



These show the finished product.  I will need to trim the edges to make room for a framing layer on an A2 card.  I use a pad of newsprint paper under the brayering to protect table.  Ink is water based and just washes off the folder and brayer.

2 comments:

  1. I love this embossing folder. May I ask who makes it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are very old Cuttlebug embossing folders, made by Provo Craft. They may not be available any more. However, this technique works with all the folders now available.

      Delete