Saturday, June 29, 2013

Autumn Leaves

I'm working on getting this type of cards to look more like fall colors.  I chose some tiny leaf stamps for stamping the background.  I used a Kaleidacolor ink pad called Autumn Leaves.
For the first 2 cards, I used a very old Spellbinder's die to cut and emboss the leaves and acorns.  The 3rd card is made with a tissue paper type of die cut that I've had for years.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Floral cards

I'm working on a card design, trying to get the colors to look more like fall colors.  They are still a little too pastel to be true fall colors, but I still like them.
I also tried a few other changes in choice of ribbon and die cut flowers.  I also changed the sentiments.  I'll keep playing to see if I can accompish my goals for this type of card.

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Let me repeat - OWH Boot Camp

Operation Write Home presents a Design Boot Camp once a month on the Stars & Stamps blog.  The June Boot Camp in on repetition of design elements.  This is my attempt at this lesson.
I created the background with some clear stamps and ink, then embossed the flowers over the background.  The flower die from PTI was meant to repeat the floral pattern. 

The ribbon and the green cardstock really do look better together than the scan appears.  I wish scanners didn't change the color so much.

I was frustrated with the way the colors looked on this card, so I made one with a different cardstock.  Any better?

Friday, June 14, 2013

Scenic cards

I really enjoy learning to create scenic cards.  See previous post of more on this technique.  These cards show a barn and trees at sunset.

The background colors were made with Memento inks and a sponge dauber.  Trees and barn are rubber stamps with Memento rich cocoa ink.  I used Prismacolor pencils on barn and shadows.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Beach scene technique

I became inspired when I saw this technique for creating a beach scene on a card.  Theresa even created a nice video.  I didn't have the same stamps that she used, but I'm working on creating cards with the supplies I have available.


I didn't have the dies that Theresa used, so I used a Spellbinders oval die.  It takes a litte practice to get the coloring where you want it.  I used Memento inks and Prismacolor pencils.  This is a fun technique and I will probably continue to practice with it.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Mission accomplished

I finally finished my 6" X 6" paper pad.  It took me nearly 2 weeks and I have 29 finished cards.  I have a few scraps left and will use them later, but for now, I'm finished.  I have always been challenged by patterned papers and this was my learning experience.  I could have rushed through it, but the cards would not be a quality that I'm proud of.  Here are the last few cards I made.

I have these all packed up and will send them to my shipper at Operation Write Home.

Friday, June 7, 2013

OWH Boot Camp - Variety

I got so involved this month in creating cards from a 6"X6" paper pad, that I nearly forgot to do the Boot Camp challenge for May.  If you aren't following the Boot Camp on Stars & Stamps Blog, it's a great way to learn to improve your cardmaking.  Paula posts these once a month.

This challenge was to use variety in your cards to create interest.
The patterned paper are still from the Love Notes pad from Fancy Pants Designs.  The background adds texture both by the paper design and embossing.  The sentiment is from one of the newer OWH/Hero Arts stamp sets.  I cut the sentiment and frame with rectangle Nestibilities and the hearts with heart Nestibility Dies.

I've also made a few more cards for the 6X6 challenge, so I'll post them here.  You can see all of my cards by reading previous posts on my blog.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Still working 6X6 pad

I'm still trying use up that 6"X6" pad of Love Notes paper by Fancy Pants Design.  I still have some scraps and some 'harder to use' patterns.
The card on the left used narrow scraps of paper for banners.  After adhering the banners to the background paper, I ran it through the Big Shot with an embossing folder.  I stamped the sentiment from OWH/Hero Arts onto another scrap and turned it into a banner.  I didn't like this result because the long tails on some of the letters made the sentiment off balance.
On the second card, I skipped the embossing folder and stamped the sentiment directly on the background paper.  I then used a ribbon across the top of card.
This is another 'hard to use' background paper.  I placed a couple of narrow strips of paper across the lower part, the put a sheer ribbon over the top.  The sentiment is also from the new OWH/Hero Arts stamps.  I created frames with Nestibilites pinking circles dies.
On the second card, I just used ribbon across the lower part of card.

Monday, June 3, 2013

Scrap cards

After my previous post, I wanted to change direction but...nothing!  After several days of not making cards, I pulled out the scraps from my previous group of cards and came up with these:
All these cards, along with the previous 9 cards were all made with paper from the 6"X6" pad shown.  I still have more paper to make more cards.

All sentiments on these cards are stamped with Hero Arts stamps made for Operation Write Home.